Sunday, October 31, 2010

Simple Machines Around the Home

When I think simple machines, I think more along the lines of non-traditional items that would be found somewhere other than at a home.  There are so many simple machines at someone's home that we don't even think about it. When I was taking pictures, I kept finding different things that would be considered a simple machine.


This is a picture of a can opener that acts like a lever.








The clock on the wall in the kitchen acts as a wheel and axel.
This lid on the jar acts as a screw.  I never thought something so little as this could be a simple machine.  
The knife and fork pictured here are called wedges in the simple machine world.
My nieces play gym in our backyard is an example of a simple machine.  The slide serves as an inclined plane. 

These are just some of the simple machines I found around my home. What can you find around your home?

1 comment: